Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Brit boxer Amir Khan to quit in 2015



London: WBA World light welterweight champion Amir Khan is planning to quit boxing in five years after beating American legend Floyd Mayweather Junior and Philippine Manny Pacquiao on his road to superstardom.

"In the next four years I will have all my big fights so in five years time I will be gone," News of The World quoted Khan, as saying. "When I hit my peak I will be fighting men like Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquiao. They will be my last few fights." "There are so many big fights in my division, but my body will tell me when to call it a day," he added. Khan insists the decision is not a knee-jerk reaction after his closest friend, British boxer Jamie Moore, retired two weeks ago. "You need to know when it is the right time to call it a day and, believe me, I will get my retirement right. You need to know when to walk. As soon as you have gone past your peak and start getting hurt, be man enough and walk away like Jamie," Khan said. "He lost fights against Ryan Rhodes and Sergey Khomitski, men he would have beaten at his best," he added. Khan will become the youngest Briton in history to defend a world title in America when he puts his crown on the line against Paulie Malignaggi in Madison Square Garden's theatre on May 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment